TODAY, I turn 34 – Oh boy, How did that happen..
I don’t know about you, but the older I get – I don’t feel like I could possibly be this old. I literally had to think about how old I was to write this, and I was like NO WAY, I’m almost mid 30s, how the hell did that happen…
I’m sure a lot of girls would go back and like relive their 20’s or teens – but me, NAHH GIRL – I’m good right where I am! Life just keeps getting better! I guess I can attribute that to the fact that I’m finally comfortable in my own skin, I know what I want – and I’m not afraid to fight to get it!
At 20, I just wanted to make sure everybody else thought I was awesome, now I just wanna be happy – everyone else’s opinion be damned. When I look back at 20, I don’t really even know that girl now – I wish I could tell myself a thing or two..
So to celebrate my 34th, I thought I’d share a list of 10 things I would tell my 20 year old self if I could.
1. YOU ARE NOT FAT. Learn to love your body, just the way it is. The super light complexion, the chicken pox scar on the end of your nose, the short legs, learn to love it all! The more you love it, the more you’ll want to take care of it. Trust me, it’s going to do some amazing things like bring two of the coolest, infuriating, most loving boys into this world.
2. STAY IN SHAPE. No, you are not fat, learn to love the body your in & TAKE CARE OF IT. Once you turn 30 you won’t be able to catch up as easily!
3. SLOW DOWN. Take your time, you don’t have to rush to buy the big house, or a new car. You don’t have to rush to babies – you’ll miss this step. You’ll miss date nights with Chevron hot dogs and TV. You’ll miss just jumping in the car without thinking about packing up two kids – slow down and savor this season –
“You’ll miss date nights with Chevron hot dogs and TV.”
4. STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. I know I just said slow down, but hear me out.. stop wasting your time on other people’s opinions. Stop trying to fit in some stupid mold you think you’re supposed to fit in.. Decide what it is you ACTUALLY want, and go get it. You don’t have to make yourself smaller – dream big . .
5. DON’T BUY THAT NEW CAR. You can totally get by in your little Corolla for a while, and you’re gonna wreck the next one. Keep the car that’s paid off –
6. YOU HAVE THE BEST PARENTS. You don’t know how true this is. In the next few years, you’ll see just how much you need them. They will ALWAYS come, no matter what time it is. No matter what. Don’t take that for granted. Just remember that. Be patient when you need to, and always tell them THANK YOU.
7. SPEND TIME ALONE WITH TIM. You don’t know it now, but that man will be your rock more than you will ever imagine. He will pick up the pieces of you that are broken when you lose pregnancies. He will hold it all together when you lose your Grandmother. He will hold your hand and be your cheerleader when you finally birth your boys. He will ALWAYS have your back, he will fight for you, he will do every single thing you ask. You don’t know how good you have it, just yet. Spend time with him, and be the same for him. He deserves more than you can ever give –
8. STOP COMPARING YOURSELF. One day, Instagram and Pinterest are going to come into your life. They are going to give you these amazing ideas – and some are great.. some are realistic, some AREN’T. It’s ok. Do it your way.. the kids will be fine without making paper turkey place cards at Thanksgiving. If the Easter Bunny drops off a Walmart bag instead of a cute basket – they will be just fine. Allow yourself to be ok with being the kind of mom you are, God knew who you were and he gave you the boys you have. They need you – exactly like you are.
9. IT WILL HAPPEN. You will spend years of your life peeing on sticks, you will spend weeks on your life crying in a bathroom floor because there is still only one line on a test. You will see ultrasounds with no heartbeats. It’s going to be ok. It will happen. It will happen when it is supposed to. Don’t let anyone tell you that you could’ve done more. It’s going to be ok. One day, you’ll have boys that are wild, loud, & messy… but you’ll love every single second and all of the tears will be forgotten.
10. GO SEE GRANNY. It’s easy to take for granted that she’s always going to be here. Right now she’s so vivacious & full of life. It’s hard to imagine that one day she won’t be able to remember your name. It’s hard to believe that she won’t see your second son born. Every chance you can see her. Don’t decline her calls. Call her. Have her tell you all of her stories. Ask about her and Grandaddy. Have her teach you to make her meatloaf. Soak her up. Losing her will be the hardest moments of your life.
BONUS. 20 IS GOOD, 30 IS BETTER. In your 30’s you’ll be missing some people, and you’ll have ups and downs… but you will also know yourself. You’ll finally be comfortable in your own skin. You’ll just be coming into who you are. You’ll have dreams – you’ll chase them. It won’t be perfect, and it’s not easy.. but it’ll be good! You’ve got a lot to look forward to.
I know we all wish we could tell our younger selves so much – hind site is 20/20 right!? I know we can’t look back – but we can take what we’ve learned and we can put it towards our future.
I want to know, what would you tell your younger self? Anything you would change? Would you go back?? Join the conversation on Instagram…