What is the first thing you did when you woke up this morning? Did you reach for your phone? Check your email? Turn on the TV?
Did you know.. the first hour of your day is known as the “golden hour”. So many things happen to your brain when you first wake. You are at your most creative, your most determined, and your most productive. The longer you are awake – your will power decreases, you are more easily influenced, & your decision making skills decrease.
So think again about your morning, do you just mope around – OR – are you being mindful & intentional with your most productive hour to create the atmosphere for the rest of your day?
If you’re answer sounds more like – coffee and instagram.. you maybe in need of a FIRST THINGS FIRST routine. This simply means the FIRST thing you do in the morning. Everyday. No excuses. If you set up your morning with mindful purpose – you set up your day for progress, productivity, and positivity. For a deeper dive into a morning routine – join me in my FB Community, CONQUER : Taking moms from overwhelmed to overcome.
Rules For The First Things First Hour :
- Don’t Consume Media : This includes television, social media, email, texts, voice mail, etc. Protect your mindset. All of these have the ability to shape our day with anxiety, frustration, and anger. Prepare your mind for the day, prepare yourself to consume. Create first, consume later.
- Practice Habits that Provide High Value : Things like fueling your mind & spirit and moving your body.
- Spend Time Alone : Or as a mom as close to alone as possible. If that means you have to allow screen time this momma here won’t pass any judgement (I wouldn’t anyway). Give yourself time to gather your thoughts.
- Know Your Plan : I don’t recommend creating a plan for the day on that same day, but review your plan. Know what tasks are MUST DO. Know what appointments you have. Prepare for your day.
- Make Your Bed : This signals to your mind that one task is completed – that you will be productive, and that night time is over & it is time for the day.
- Get Dressed : If that means you are ready for work or a workout – change out of your pajamas. Just that change in wardrobe can change your productivity level.
How many of these rules are you currently following? Are you ready to make a change? Here are some tips to get you started creating your own First Things First Routine. And don’t forget to jump into my email list for lots of goodies, freebies, and more GAME changing tips delivered straight to your inbox.
- Wake at the same time each week day, decide on a wake up time for the weekend.
- Move your body. If you can’t workout, stretch.
- Practice mindfulness. Things like reading, journaling, and affirmations can help with this.
- Ready your soul. A prayer journal, devotional, or meditations.
- Protect your mind from media. Create don’t consume.
Tomorrow morning when you wake, I hope you’ll remember this post. And be more intentional with the blessing of your golden hour.